Board of Education
The Tecumseh Board of Education consists of seven members who are elected by voters residing in the Tecumseh Public Schools District. Each serves a six-year term.
TPS Board Members
|Roger Hart, President||Steven Linn, Vice President|
|Kimberly Amstutz-Wild, Treasurer||Deborah Johnson-Berges, Secretary|
|Lynn Davis, Trustee||Jimmie Rice, Trustee|
|Lori Spotts, Trustee|
The TPS Board is proud to be recognized as an Honor Board by the Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB) for the third consecutive year, and to be a recipient of its Standard of Excellence Award. School boards achieve Honor Board Award status when all board members achieve certification status, and the Standard of Excellence Award is awarded when all board members receive the Award of Merit. Additionally, Kimberly Amstutz-Wild, Board Treasurer is a recipient of the MASB's Master Diamond Award.
The Board of Education meets on the second Monday of each month at 7 p.m. in the Tecumseh High School Media Center, located at 760 Brown St., Tecumseh, MI, unless otherwise amended by future Board action. Additional special meetings/study sessions may be scheduled as needed.
The board encourages community attendance at its monthly meetings, as stakeholder participation is important as the district strives to maintain excellent educational programs and seeks new opportunities for our learners. Your feedback is valuable to us and we encourage you to share your views on subjects related to our schools. Most questions and concerns can be addressed by contacting the classroom facilitator or building administrator. Please refer to the District Communications Guide for more contact information.
Please review the citizen participation section on this page for more information about the process for submitting a request to be added to a board meeting agenda or addressing the board during the open comment period.
2018-19 Meeting Schedule
The Tecumseh Public Schools Board of Education approved the 2018-2019 meeting schedule at its July 23, 2018 meeting.
|Monday, July 23, 2018||Monday, January 14, 2019|
|Monday, August 13, 2018||Monday, February 11, 2019|
|Monday, September 10, 2018||Monday, March 11, 2019|
|Monday, October 8, 2018||Monday, April 8, 2019|
|Monday, November 12, 2018||Monday, May 13, 2019|
|Monday, December 10, 2018||Monday, June 10, 2019|
|July 2019 - Meeting TBD*|
*The July 2019 board meeting is the first meeting of the 2019-20 fiscal year. Board meetings for 2019-20 will be determined at the final meeting of the 2018-19 year. (June 10, 2019)
- Minutes of the Board of Education Meetings can be obtained at the Office of the Superintendent – Administrative Services Building, 212 N. Ottawa Street, Tecumseh, MI.
- Board meeting minutes are posted on the district website once they have been approved by the Board of Education.
- Any person with a disability who needs accommodations, is asked to contact Teri Hoeft, Exec. Asst. to Superintendent, three (3) days prior to the scheduled Board meeting.
- Please take notice that there will be a Special Board Meeting of the Tecumseh Public Schools Board of Education held on Thursday, August 9, 2018 at the Administration Building (212 N. Ottawa Street, Tecumseh) at 5:30 p.m. The purpose of the meeting is a Board Retreat.
Board Study Sessions or Retreats may be scheduled as needed. Public notices of study sessions, retreats, or other special board meetings will be posted in advance.
- Bylaws and Policies
- Citizen Participation
- Meeting Minutes
- Mission and Goals
- Board Member Directory
The TPS Board of Education encourages stakeholders to address issues or concerns with the most appropriate individual or department level as a first step. Most questions and concerns can be addressed by communicating directly with a class facilitator, building administrator, department director, or the district superintendent.
If your concern is not resolved through these communication channels and you wish to bring certain matters to the Board’s attention, please refer to the following the two procedures as described below:
1. If the matter is lengthy in nature, it is advised that you request to be placed on the Board Meeting agenda. A written request must be submitted to the Superintendent at least 72 hours prior to the meeting.
2. You may also choose to participate in the “Public Comment” portion of the Board Meeting. Time is set aside at every Board meeting for persons in the audience who wish to be heard. If you wish to speak during the “Public Comment” section of the meeting, please review the following guidelines:
- After being recognized by the Board President, please
- State your name,
- Present your statement of concern or question to the Board
- In order to adhere to the proposed agenda, the Board President may limit the time any one speaker may consume in his/her presentation.
- The Board will hear comments from the audience but may defer action until a subsequent meeting in order to gather information and study all aspects of the matter brought to their attention.
- Complaints concerning school personnel or students cannot be discussed in an open public meeting unless the individual(s) involved are notified and agree (P.A. 267 of 1976). Such complaints should be forwarded to the Board in care of the Superintendent, unless the complaint involves the Superintendent, in which case it should be processed through the Board President. An open or closed meeting, according to the wishes of the person(s) involved, will be arranged.
- The Tecumseh Board of Education pledges its courteous attention to those who wish to be heard. In return, the Board asks that the members of the audience refrain from loud talking and interruptions during the meeting.
Tecumseh Public Schools Board of Education Meeting Minutes are not posted here until the Board has approved them at the next Board meeting.
Board of Education Meeting Minutes
|July 10, 2017||August 14, 2017||September 11, 2017||October 9, 2017|
|November 6, 2017||December 11, 2017||January 8, 2018||February 12, 2018|
|March 12, 2018||April 9, 2018||May 14, 2018||June 11, 2018|
Tecumseh Public Schools Mission
Uncompromisingly Learner Centered
The TPS Vision
We are a dynamic learning community taking bold steps to ensure all learners are inspired and empowered for life.
The Board believes that the TPS Exit Learner Outcomes represent the characteristics we wish to see in all graduates. It is the Board's goal that TPS graduates are responsible adults with a joy for learning, who contribute to their community and are driven to seek personal success and happiness.
- The Board will monitor the outcomes tied to district and building school improvement plans during the 2018-19 school year.
- The Board will participate in up to five professional development opportunities related to our learning model during the 2018-19 school year.
2. Fiscal Responsibility
The Board believes that it is important to be fiscally responsible. The Board is committed to investing in people, facilities, and resources to support the work of the district.
- The Board will maintain a fund balance between 15% and 18%
- The Board will prioritize spending to support professional learning opportunities across the district and maintenance of facilities and resources to advance the work of the district during the 2018-19 school year.
The Board wants to ensure that members of the community feel they can approach school staff and have their voices be heard.
- The Board will request a comprehensive communication plan be developed during the 2018-19 school year.
- The Board will contribute to board-level communications that help to explain the work of the Board of Education, including sharing of their work, training opportunities, and experiences in the district during the 2018-19 school year.
As approved: Aug. 13, 2018