Fifteen THS seniors traveled to Rossford, Ohio to learn more about the careers available in the professional and skilled trades. They heard from representatives of three apprenticeship unions: Electricians Local 8, Boilermakers Local 85 and Sheet Metal Workers Local 33.
The learners were accompanied by THS Counselor, Shelly Bruner who said the experience was eye-opening for some of the teens.
"Even I was amazed at the opportunities available to those interested in the skilled trades," Bruner said. "There are fantastic training programs, great job training programs and opportunities for advancement available locally."
When asked about their experience, learners reflected on what they learned about the skilled trades:
- "You don't have to go to college to get a good job."
- "This visit was important becauase they pointed out that you do not need to have prior experience to be eligible to apply for an apprenticeship."
- "The jobs pay really well and they're in demand and not going anywhere."
- "There is job security with great wages, great health insurance, and great retirement plans or pensions."
- "You get paid just to go to the school and do the apprenticeships."
- "There's a lot of hands-on training."