Quality, research-based instructional practices are key to learner success. Since 2014, TPS has worked with Action Learning Systems to align instructional practices throughout the district. Based on research-based best practices, Action Learning Systems, Inc. developed an instructional framework to increase learner achievement.
This framework, Direct Interactive Instruction (DII), focuses on four essential instructional components to maximize the learner success rate:
- Standards and Measurable Objectives
- Clear and identified learning goals
- Lesson Structure and Sequence
- Gradual release of learning responsibility from learning facilitator to learner
- I do > We do > You do
- Learner Engagement
- Multiple levels of engagement
- Frequent checks for understanding
- Clear feedback
- Proactive Classroom Management
- Rules and procedures are intentionally taught and consistently applied
This instructional framework is the base for all lesson planning, from small group instruction to collaborative project-based learning to our musical courses. These research-based practices ensure that all learning opportunities are designed to have the greatest impact on learner success.
All learning facilitators receive initial training and then ongoing coaching for their continued growth in instructional practices. TPS has four Instructional Coaches who work one-on-one with each learning facilitator to support his or her instructional practices. This professional coaching helps facilitators refine their teaching practices to improve instruction and learning outcomes for learners.