Tecumseh Public Schools is joining hundreds of local and intermediate school districts across Michigan to celebrate January as School Board Recognition Month.
“In another year full of challenges for public education, our school board members persevered through the adversity of 2022 to provide the best possible education for our students,” said Superintendent Rick Hilderley. “Celebrating School Board Recognition Month is one of the tiny ways to express appreciation for all they do.”
School board members represent the views and priorities of their community in the complex system of maintaining and running a district’s public schools, Superintendent Hilderley said. They also reinforce the principle of local control over public education, a substantial, highly valued aspect of education in Michigan.
“Too often, the efforts of school board members go unrecognized,” Superintendent Hilderley said.
The school board’s main goal is to support student achievement. To achieve that goal, the board focuses on the following needs:
- Creating a vision for what parents and citizens want their school district to become and how to prioritize student achievement.
- Setting standards for what students must learn and be able to do.
- Assessing whether schools achieve their goals and whether students are learning.
- Accounting for the outcomes of decisions and tracking progress, and reporting results.
- Aligning the use of the district’s human and financial resources.
- Creating a safe and orderly climate where students can learn, and teachers can teach.
- Collaborating to solve common problems and to support shared successes.
- Focusing on continuous improvement by questioning, examining, revising, refining, and revisiting issues related to student achievement.
Board of Education members were recognized during the Monday, January 9th meeting. Superintendent Hilderley would also like to thank the recent outgoing board members, Rebecca Brooks and Suzanne Moore, for their years of service and dedication to Tecumseh Public Schools.
“Even though we are making a special effort during January to show appreciation for our school board members, we recognize their contributions reflect a year-round effort on their part,” said Superintendent Hilderley. “No matter what challenges lie ahead for our district in 2023, our school board members will continue to govern to improve student achievement and provide an exceptional education for all our community’s children.”
The individuals serving Tecumseh Public Schools are:
- Tony Rebottaro - President, since January 2021
- Lynne Davis - Vice President, since May 2021
- Mary Tommelein - Secretary, since June 2021
- Tim Simpson - Treasurer, since January 2019
- Greg Lewis - Trustee, since January 2021
- Dr. Jacob Martinez - Trustee, since January 2023
- Joshua Mattison - Trustee, since January 2023